New Database Format Available: This page is for our legacy databases. For our latest database format, please see our GeoIP2 Downloadable Databases.
GeoIP Legacy is available in a variety of downloadable databases. These databases use a custom binary format to maximize lookup speed. MaxMind also offers CSV versions of the same data. This is useful if you would like to import this data into a SQL RDBMS, for example.
Please see our CSV database documentation.
The binary databases come in many flavors, each of which contains a specific dataset. These are all offered as separate products with their own subscription.
At present, we offer the following databases:
- Country – maps the IP address to a country
- Region – maps the IP address to a specific state/province within a country
- City – maps the IP address to a specific city within a country. In the US, we are able to map many IP addresses to specific postal codes. This database also contains approximate latitude, longitude, and time zone data.
- Organization – maps the IP address to the organization which was assigned the IP address’s netblock.
- ISP – maps the IP address to the ISP which owns the IP, including wireless carriers.
- Netspeed – maps the IP address a particular network speed.
- Domain – maps the IP address to a domain (not a hostname).
We supply APIs for many major programming languages. Please see our benchmarks if you are interested in comparing the speed of various APIs.
|Language/Platform||Documentation||Package Repository||Version Control|
|Apache (mod_geoip)||Documentation||Source on GitHub||GitHub|
|C (see note)||Documentation||Source on GitHub, Debian, Ubuntu||GitHub|
|C#||Documentation||Source on GitHub||GitHub|
Note: The GeoIP Update program has been moved to a separate source distribution.
|Language or Framework||API Name||Package Repository||Documentation||Version Control|
|Go||GeoIP (C wrapper)||GoDoc||GitHub|
|Nim||mmgeoip (C wrapper)||README||GitHub|
|Node.js||GeoIP binding (C extension)||README||GitHub|
|Node.js||node-maxmind (0.6 and earlier)||README.md||GitHub|
|PHP||GeoIP PECL||PECL package||PECL package|
|Ruby||GeoIP Bindings (C Extension)||RubyGems||RubyDoc||GitHub|
|Scala||Scala MaxMind Geo-IP||README||GitHub|
We offer instructions for using our downloadable databases with OpenX.