- February 13, 2018
We have added additional outputs to the GeoIP2 Country, GeoIP2 City, and GeoIP2 Enterprise databases and to the GeoIP2 Precision Services. The outputs are:
- EU Country:
/country/is_in_european_union– Country of the location of the IP address in an EU member state
- EU Registered Country:
/registered_country/is_in_european_union– Country registered by the ISP or organization is an EU member state
- EU Country:
- November 2, 2017
GeoIP2 Precision Insights now includes anonymizer-type outputs. These outputs are:
/traits/is_anonymous– whether the IP address belongs to any sort of anonymous network.
/traits/is_anonymous_vpn– whether the IP address belongs to an anonymous VPN system.
/traits/is_hosting_provider– whether the IP address belongs to a hosting provider.
/traits/is_public_proxy– whether the IP address belongs to a public proxy.
/traits/is_tor_exit_node– whether the IP address is a Tor exit node.
Please see our GeoIP2 Precision Web Services documentation for more information.
- October 31, 2017
- October 10, 2017
Our Singapore server is now live. GeoIP2 Precision and GeoIP web service customers – if you hardcode any of our IPs in your application or your firewall, please make sure you have added the new server IP addresses to your list:
- IPv4 address: 22.214.171.124
- IPv6 address: 2607:f0d0:3:2d::4
- hostname: geoip-as-southeast.maxmind.com
- September 27, 2017
We completed our most recent review and update of Geolocation for Crimea. Our accuracy has increased as follows:
Approximately 89% of website visitors who are from Crimea are currently located by GeoIP as being in Crimea. Approximately 97% of the visitors who are located in Crimea by GeoIP are actually in Crimea.
We currently locate Crimea in Ukraine, as we use GeoNames data and they locate Crimea in Ukraine. If GeoNames locates Crimea in Russia in the future, we will follow their change and post an announcement here as well as on https://twitter.com/maxmind.
In legacy GeoIP, we return a FIPS region code of 11 or 20. In GeoIP2, we return a iso code of 40 or 43 in the subdivision object.
Due to the nature of geolocation technology and other factors beyond our control, we cannot guarantee any specific future accuracy level. Further, accuracy figures are subject to change as IP networks are reallocated.
- August 17, 2017
- July 24, 2017
- We will be mapping additional mobile (cellular) networks to a region (subdivision) rather than city level. This change will only occur where the confidence in the city data is low due to the mobile provider allocating IPs over a wide area.
- July 10, 2017
The geographical location for anycast CloudFlare networks:
126.96.36.199/19have been removed.
- June 23, 2017
- Our Account Portal has been updated to include the ability for our customers to create and manage multiple license keys.
- June 11, 2017
We are removing the geographical location for the anycast CloudFlare network
188.8.131.52/20. Anycast networks can be routed to a number of different locations all around the world, typically based on what is the nearest location. Over the next few weeks, we may remove the geographical location for additional anycast networks, including more CloudFlare networks as well as Google public DNS servers
- May 9, 2017
- Our GeoLite2 ASN database is now provided in a CSV format suitable for importing into a SQL database as well as a GeoLite2 ASN database in our MaxMind DB binary format. You can download the database here. GeoLite2 databases may also be downloaded and updated with our GeoIP Update program.
- May 8, 2017
- We’ve updated the ISP and Organization data to replace the Charter Communications and Bright House Networks data points with the data point Spectrum, as these two ISPs have merged and been rebranded as Spectrum.
- March 5, 2017
The GeoIP databases and services providing ISP and Organization data have been updated. The change is to a number of European and Latin Americans ISPs. We’ve updated the ISP name to use the common trade name instead of the legal name. This will make it easier to recognize the ISP.
Please note that if you use this data point, for example, to flag a visitor if they change ISP, you may need to adjust your implementation in order to avoid false positive flags.
The ISP name changes include the following:
Telefonica Movil De Chile S.A.to
Movistar Movil Chile
- November 8, 2016
We’ve updated any GeoIP database or service providing ISP and Organization data to return Comcast Business rather than Comcast Business Communications. We are doing so in order to use the trade name of the ISP and also because it is shorter.
Please note that if you use this data point, for example, to flag a visitor if they change ISP, you may need to adjust your implementation in order to avoid false positive or negative flags.
The following GeoIP databases and services are affected by this change:
- GeoIP2 ISP database
- GeoIP2 Enterprise database (Update will apply to November 15th release)
- GeoIP Legacy ISP and Organization databases
- GeoIP2 Precision and Legacy City Service
- GeoIP2 Precision and Legacy Insights Service
- September 15, 2016
- The GeoIP City databases now provide significantly improved accuracy for countries outside the US, especially China, India, and Japan. See more information about GeoIP accuracy on https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip2-city-database-accuracy