GeoIP Legacy is available in a variety of downloadable databases. These databases use a custom binary format to maximize lookup speed. MaxMind also offers CSV versions of the same data. This is useful if you would like to import this data into a SQL RDBMS, for example.
Please see our CSV database documentation.
The binary databases come in many flavors, each of which contains a specific dataset. These are all offered as separate products with their own subscription. We provide installation instructions for GeoIP Legacy Country and GeoIP Legacy City.
At present, we offer the following databases:
- Country – maps the IP address to a country
- Region – maps the IP address to a specific state/province within a country
- City – maps the IP address to a specific city within a country. In the US, we are able to map many IP addresses to specific postal codes. This database also contains latitude, longitude, and time zone data.
- Organization – maps the IP address to the organization which was assigned the IP address’s netblock.
- ISP – maps the IP address to the ISP which owns the IP, including wireless carriers.
- Netspeed – maps the IP address a particular network speed.
- Domain – maps the IP address to a domain (not a hostname).
We supply APIs for many major programming languages. Please see our benchmarks if you are interested in comparing the speed of various APIs.
|Language/Platform||Documentation||Package Repository||Version Control|
|Apache (mod_geoip)||Documentation||Source on GitHub||GitHub|
|C (see note)||Documentation||Source on GitHub, Debian, Ubuntu||GitHub|
|C#||Documentation||Source on GitHub||GitHub|
|Microsoft COM||Documentation (64-bit)||Source on GitHub||GitHub|
Note: The GeoIP Update program has been moved to a separate source distribution.
|Language or Framework||API Name||Package Repository||Documentation||Version Control|
|Node.js||GeoIP binding (C extension)||README||GitHub|
|PHP||GeoIP PECL||PECL package||PECL package|
|Ruby||GeoIP Bindings (C Extension)||RubyForge||GitHub|
|Scala||Scala MaxMind Geo-IP||README||GitHub|
We offer instructions for using our downloadable databases with OpenX.